Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Used Books

I'm a big reader.....big as in can't put a book down til its done.  I've always loved books and have always owned quite alot of them.  Cookbooks, herbal books, survival books, self sufficiency books and even fiction books.  What I dont like is paying full price.  Here are a few of the ways that I never pay full price.....

1. I sign up on the email list for Borders, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.  I get coupons for 15-30% off a book or sometimes my whole order.  Borders I go to the local store and dont pay shipping.  B&N and Amazon have free shipping for over $25.

2. When visiting Borders (or any other book store)  I check out their bargain section.  There are usually lots of children's books, cookbooks and what I call coffee table books (which make great gifts).

3. I watch the local newspaper for used book sales.  Library's have them sometimes twice a year, and our local YMCA has one once a year also.  Hard backs for $1 and paperbacks for $.50.......you just cant beat that with a stick!

4. On occasion I have been known to buy a stinker of a book (doesn't happen often).  Instead of garage saleing it for $1 or less, I use http://www.paperbackswap.com/ .  When you first join and list a certain number of books that you are willing to trade, you will get some credits.  Those credits are good for books that other members have posted.  You get more credits when other people request your books and you mail them out to them.  It cost around $2.38 media mail postage to mail a regular sized fiction book.  These books are generally in really good condition (better than used library books).  Even though its called "paper" back swap, you can list hardback books also.



1 comment:

  1. I signed up at the paperback swap site but I haven't posted any books just yet. Need to go through them. I really want to get the kids some of the Hank The Cowdog books. :0)

    ReplyDelete